Most Shared

LOCAL 12 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Crews search for child who fell into Great Miami River

WHITEWATER TOWNSHIP (Angenette Levy) -- Fire officials and sheriff's deputies searched into the late evening on September 1st, 2014, for a boy who fell into the river while fishing with his brothers.

The boy's brother called 911 before 4 p.m. Monday. He said that he and his brothers were fishing in the river when the two younger boys fell into the water. The older brother was able to pull one boy safety but the other went under water. There was some confusion among fire officials about the boy's age. He was believed to be between eight and 10 years old. The boys were with their family in the area where the Great Miami River and the Whitewater River meet.

A sheriff's helicopter hovered over the Whitewater River for much of the afternoon and evening. Boats were also used to search on the water but conditions posed a challenge.

"There's certain spots that are extremely shallow so boats can only get to certain points. Then we have deep areas and whirlpools that we were able to get an inflatable boat up to and is actually doing some of that searching, " said Chief Steve Ober of the Miami Twp. Fire Dept.

Members of the volunteer search group Texas Equusearch scoured the river banks for any sign of the missing boy.

"Our effort is mainly going to be checking the river banks to make sure that if this little guy actually got up on shore and he's wandering around on shore lost, that's what we're going to do while the water teams do their work and their magic on the water end of it," said Dave Rader, head of Texas Equusearch.

Around 9 p.m. Monday night, fire officials said all hope was lost that the boy would be found alive. Divers were on standby in case a boat equipped with sonar located his body. The boy was not wearing a personal flotation device.

"Wear a PFD. Don't underestimate the river. It's a dangerous place," said Whitewater Twp. Asst. Fire Chief Mike Siefke.

The boy's name was not released late Monday night. The family is from Kentucky.

The search was called off late Monday night because it was determined it wasn't safe to send divers into the area they wanted to search. Crews will return to the river Tuesday morning. Cadaver dogs will be placed on boats to help isolate a search area.

Follow Angenette Levy on Twitter @angenette5 and LIKE her on Facebook.




Advertise with us!