LOCAL 12 - Search Results
Man badly hurt making sparkler bomb
MILFORD TOWNSHIP, Ohio (Larry Davis) -- Investigators said a local man turned sparklers into an explosive.
He was found putting a bunch of them together in an act that can be downright dangerous. The accident happened at a farm house on Shollenbarger Road. Friends tended to the victim as others called 911.
Investigators said an explosion inside a refrigerator went off Saturday night. 26-year-old Eric Stapleton suffered a serious ankle injury when shrapnel from the blast struck him. The source of the explosion was a sparkler bomb.
Sgt Jason Rosser with the Butler County Sheriff's Department bomb squad said contrary to what people might think sparklers can be dangerous. Sparkler bombs became a new threat to fireworks safety. Sgt Rosser said they not only do serious damage to objects but the people who use them.
Any one sparkler can cause burns, several together can have a bad result. Investigators with the sheriff's office and the state fire Marshall's office continued their investigation Monday. It remains to be seen whether any charges will be filed. Sgt Rosser said if people want to see a big fireworks show, leave it to the pros.
This was not the first incident involving a sparkler bomb. Last year, a Dayton, Ohio man lost a couple of fingers when he and another man used sparklers to build a homemade firework. The other man suffered a leg injury.
Click here to watch story
Follow Larry Davis on Twitter @larrydaviswkrc and LIKE him on Facebook