Most Shared

LOCAL 12 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Dad: Loom bracelet caused son to break out in a rash

CUMBERLAND COUNTY, Va. (WTVR) -- A Virginia father has a warning for parents who plan to buy the insanely popular loom bracelet kit for their children. Make sure you know which colorful rubber bands youre buying before handing it over to your child.

One day after 10-year-old Dylan Myers received his first loom bracelet kit from his parents, he broke out in a rash that covered his body and part of his face.

Dylans father, Richmond firefighter and EMT Roger Myers, said the colorful bands he bought his child were made of latex (non-latex bands are also available for sale). Dylan, he determined, must be allergic to latex based on what happened after the child began to handle and wear the bracelets.

Richmond-area pediatrician Dr. Eric Freeman said latex allergies are real and something he checks for among his patients. He said the issue has become so serious, he stopped using latex products in his practice. He said studies show 20 percent of all medical health professionals are allergic to latex.

Dylan Myers allergic reaction went away in a day or two after Dylan was given Benadryl, his dad said.

Dr. Freeman said extreme allergic reactions to latex could send a person into shock and an Epinephrine injection would be used as treatment.

Roger Myers said hell buy Dylan the latex free bands from now on.

Follow us on Twitter @Local12 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates!
 

 

Talkers

Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!