- Reds Release 2014 Cactus League Schedule
- Reds Announce 2014 Coaching Staff
- Reds Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2014
- Reds acquire Holmberg from Ari, Send Hanigan to TB
- Reds non-tender OFs Paul, Robinson
- Reports: Parra re-signs with Reds
- Schumaker, Reds complete $5 million, 2-year deal
- Sean Casey on Hall of Fame ballot
- Reds add four to 40-man
- Report: Skip Schumaker signs two-year contract with Reds
- Choo turns down Reds contract offer
- Redsfest tickets on sale
- Reds agree in principle to deal with C Pena
- Jay Bruce wins 2nd straight Silver Slugger Award
- Report: Yankees inquire about Phillips
- Reds do not make offer to Arroyo, 4 others
- Reds make qualifying offer to Choo
- Concepcion 1 of 12 candidates on the Expansion Era Hall of Fame ballot
- 5 Dates for Reds Fans this Offseason
- Phillips wins 4th Gold Glove
- Yankees Interested in Choo?
- Watch Bryan Price's Press Conference
- Reds choose Bryan Price for next manager
- Reds To Introduce New Manager Bryan Price At 3:00 P.M. Press Conference Today
- Cincinnati Reds Name New Manager
- Reports indicating Reds are shopping 2B Phillips
- Reds' Latos Undergoes Surgery
- Dusty Baker to Replace Nationals' Manager?
- Bruce nominated for Hank Aaron Award
- Reds minor leaguer suspended
- Local Reaction to Baker's Leave
- Fans Not Suprised Dusty Baker Was Fired
- Dusty Baker Fired as Reds Manager
- Reds Face Big Questions in Offseason
- Reds stayed pat, paid for it in playoffs
- Mat Latos' Wife Alleges Attack at PNC Park
- Police: No charges in fight involving Reds' wife
- Pirates beat Reds 6-2 in NL wild-card game
- Red's Wild Card Playoff Game
- Reds Race For the Pennant
- Rookies on wild-card rosters for Reds, Pirates
- Brad Talks Wildcard Playoff Game Against The Pirates
- Pirates hoping for more than cameo in playoffs
- Reds get set for Tuesday showdown
- Bumpus Jones: Who is he and why is he in the news?
- Pirates sweep series, await Reds in Wild Card
- Reds' Latos out for wild card game with sore elbow
- Reds game Tuesday starts at 8:05pm
- Cueto tapped to start Tuesday's Wild Card game at Pittsburgh
- Arroyo shelled, Pirates beat Reds 8-3 for home-field advantage
- Pirates tie HR record at Great American Ball Park
- Reds face must-win for home playoff game
- Pirates take upper-hand in pivotal final series, beat Reds 4-1
- Ludwick calls out Reds fans
- Reds postgame vs Mets
- Reds eliminated from Central race with Cardinals win
- Matsuzaka pitches Mets to 1-0 win over Reds
- Reds Fans Break Ballpark Attendance Record
- Mets rock Leake, give Reds costly 4-2 defeat
- Cueto's return gives Reds their ace for playoffs
- Buc up! Pirates, Reds punch playoff tickets
- Reds clinch playoff berth, beat Mets 3-2 in 10th
- Reds leave Pittsburgh with a big win
- Votto error costly, Reds drop contest to Pirates, 4-2
- Reds game time changed
- Votto HR lifts Reds into a Wild Card tie
- Reds and Pirates Set to Meet in Critical Series
- Marty Brennaman Signs Contract Extension
- Wild Card & NLDS tickets to go on sale
- Hamilton in starting lineup for Reds
- Reds hand Astros 100th loss, 10-0
- Reds get well against Astros
- Arroyo is Clemente Award Nominee
- Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
- Halton's homer walks off Reds
- Cueto set to start Monday
- Choo, Votto go deep in Reds win
- Lohse, Gomez deal Reds 5-1 loss
- Reds talk after win over Cubs
- Mesoraco, Hannahan power Reds to 6-0 win over Cubs
- Reds try to avoid Cubs sweep
- Police and Fire Appreciation Day at GABP
- Castillo homers twice as Cubs rout Reds 9-1
- Reds to open 2014 season hosting Cardinals
- Former Reds player approaching Japanese HR record
- Wood, Cubs stall Reds' surge with 2-0 win
- Bruce crushes two HRs, Reds win in last at bat
- Billy Hamilton, Reds shake Dodgers in extras
- Reds unveil Morgan statue, Rose attends
- Votto homers, lifts Reds over Dodgers
- Reds crush Lynn, take three of four from Cards
- Joe Morgan Statue Dedication Details
- Adams' HRs send Cardinals over Reds 5-4 in 16
- Hamilton's run, Chapman's fastball give Reds speed
- 1-on-1 with Bronson Arroyo
- Reds discuss win vs Padres
- Reds Analysis with Mike Berk, Richard Skinner and Dave Collins
- Homer Bailey Tosses Second No-Hitter In Reds Win
Reds try to avoid Cubs sweep
Updated: Wednesday, September 11 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
ALAN FERGUSON (STATS Writer)
AP - Sports
The Cincinnati Reds appeared to have a prime opportunity to keep driving toward the NL Central lead with a series against the lowly Chicago Cubs.
Instead, the Reds will be seeking to avoid their first home sweep to the Cubs in 12 years Wednesday, and Mike Leake will try to help with another strong outing against Chicago.
Heading into this three-game set, Cincinnati (82-64) had taken six of seven against Central leader St. Louis and the West-leading Los Angeles Dodgers. The Reds had also won 22 of 26 over the Cubs (62-82) but have been outscored 11-1 in the first two games.
Chicago hasn't won three in a row since July and hasn't swept a series in Cincinnati since May 28-30, 2001.
"I don't know if you can call it a letdown. I don't know if you call it not focused. I don't know if you call it not enough energy. I don't know if you call it those guys came in to play spoilers," outfielder Ryan Ludwick said. "I don't think anyone wanted to lose two to the Cubs. They're a major league team, but they're in last place, and we're trying to chase down a couple of teams in front of us."
The Reds were held scoreless in the first 15 innings of this series until Corky Miller's RBI double in the seventh of Tuesday's 9-1 defeat. Welington Castillo hit two homers and Donnie Murphy drove in three runs as Chicago recorded back-to-back wins in Cincinnati for the first time in two years.
The Reds were within 1 1/2 games of St. Louis in the NL Central and tied with Pittsburgh for second before this series. They're now three games behind the Cardinals and two back of the Pirates.
Leake (12-6, 3.46 ERA) will try to get his club's playoff push back on track by improving on his 2-0 record and 2.18 ERA in three matchups with Chicago this season. He gave up one run and three hits over eight innings to win the most recent one, 2-1 on June 12.
The right-hander heads into this outing after beating the Dodgers on Friday, yielding two runs in 7 2-3 innings of a 3-2 victory. He had given up at least four runs in each of his previous four starts and was 0-1 with a 9.28 ERA in the last two.
Leake is 3-0 with a 2.21 ERA in five career home starts against Chicago and will pitch opposite a struggling Jeff Samardzija in this one.
Samardzija (8-11, 4.29) has given up a combined 11 runs and 17 hits, including three homers, in 12 2-3 innings over his last two starts. He didn't receive a decision either time.
"My baseball command has been spotty," Samardzija told the team's website. "It needs to be better."
The right-hander has a 6.75 ERA in his last two starts against the Reds - both in Chicago - but also avoided decisions in those games. Samardzija performed better in his only start in Cincinnati this season, giving up two runs - one earned - and four hits over six innings May 4, but the Cubs bullpen couldn't hold a two-run lead in a 6-4 defeat.
CINCINNATI, OH - SEPTEMBER 10: Starlin Castro (center) #12 of the Chicago Cubs celebrates with teammates after the Cubs 9-1 victory over the Cincinnati Reds at Great American Ball Park on September 10, 2013 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)