- Injured Reds pitchers begin throwing
- Grand slam powers Dodgers over Reds
- Cueto struggles vs KC
- Hosmer, Perez homer in Royals 9-5 win over Reds
- Hamilton steals again, but Mariners beat Reds 6-5
- Reds injury updates
- Price wins managerial debut, Reds top Indians 8-3
- Reds move Simon into starter role with Latos hurt
- Reds Futures High School Showcase expands to 72 teams
- C Pena gives Reds a Cuban connection
- Speedy Billy Hamilton takes over Reds leadoff spot
- Homer Bailey talks about his $105 million contract
- Joey Votto shares thoughts on Bailey's $105 million contract
- Bailey wanted assurances Reds committed to winning
- Reds, RHP Bailey agree to a 6-year deal
- First full-squad Reds workout Wednesday
- Reds, Homer Bailey agree on 105M, 6-year deal
- Homer Bailey, Reds GM Jocketty talk about negotiations
- Mike Berk talks to Homer Bailey about contract
- Cingrani trying for more than all fastballs
- Bailey says he is really close to deal with Reds
- Price settles in as manager
- 5 things to know about the Reds as camp starts
- Reds want players to keep beards, hair in check
- Johnny Cueto embraces role of Reds ace
- Latos has surgery for torn knee cartilage
- Reds pitchers and catchers report to Goodyear Friday
- Reds claim RHP Brett Marshall off waivers
- Griffey Jr., Larkin do baseball diplomacy in Cuba
- Diamondbacks agree to deal with former Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo
- Chapman and Reds agree on 5 million, 1 year deal
- Chris Nelson, Reds agree to minor league contract
- Reds avoid arbitration with three more
- Game times for Reds regular season schedule announced
- Reds agree to minor league deal with LHP Francis
- 2014 Reds Caravan set for Jan. 23-26
- Reds name Dragons coaching staff
- Riggleman, rest of Reds AAA staff returns for 2014
- Reds sign 10 to minor league contracts
- Ryan Freel diagnosed with CTE
- Reds and Yankees reportedly discuss trade
- Reds must replace Choo's production in lineup
- Former Reds Concepcion, Parker not heading to HOF
- Baseball Writers Association of America Announces Reds Performance Winners
- Reds Release 2014 Cactus League Schedule
- Reds Announce 2014 Coaching Staff
- Reds Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2014
- Reds acquire Holmberg from Ari, Send Hanigan to TB
- Reds non-tender OFs Paul, Robinson
- Reports: Parra re-signs with Reds
- Schumaker, Reds complete $5 million, 2-year deal
- Sean Casey on Hall of Fame ballot
- Reds add four to 40-man
- Report: Skip Schumaker signs two-year contract with Reds
- Choo turns down Reds contract offer
- Redsfest tickets on sale
- Reds agree in principle to deal with C Pena
- Jay Bruce wins 2nd straight Silver Slugger Award
- Report: Yankees inquire about Phillips
- Reds do not make offer to Arroyo, 4 others
- Reds make qualifying offer to Choo
- Concepcion 1 of 12 candidates on the Expansion Era Hall of Fame ballot
- 5 Dates for Reds Fans this Offseason
- Phillips wins 4th Gold Glove
- Yankees Interested in Choo?
- Watch Bryan Price's Press Conference
- Reds choose Bryan Price for next manager
- Reds To Introduce New Manager Bryan Price At 3:00 P.M. Press Conference Today
- Cincinnati Reds Name New Manager
- Reports indicating Reds are shopping 2B Phillips
- Reds' Latos Undergoes Surgery
- Dusty Baker to Replace Nationals' Manager?
- Bruce nominated for Hank Aaron Award
- Reds minor leaguer suspended
- Local Reaction to Baker's Leave
- Fans Not Suprised Dusty Baker Was Fired
- Dusty Baker Fired as Reds Manager
- Reds Face Big Questions in Offseason
- Reds stayed pat, paid for it in playoffs
- Mat Latos' Wife Alleges Attack at PNC Park
- Police: No charges in fight involving Reds' wife
- Pirates beat Reds 6-2 in NL wild-card game
- Red's Wild Card Playoff Game
- Reds Race For the Pennant
- Rookies on wild-card rosters for Reds, Pirates
- Brad Talks Wildcard Playoff Game Against The Pirates
- Pirates hoping for more than cameo in playoffs
- Reds get set for Tuesday showdown
- Bumpus Jones: Who is he and why is he in the news?
- Pirates sweep series, await Reds in Wild Card
- Reds' Latos out for wild card game with sore elbow
- Reds game Tuesday starts at 8:05pm
- Cueto tapped to start Tuesday's Wild Card game at Pittsburgh
- Arroyo shelled, Pirates beat Reds 8-3 for home-field advantage
- Pirates tie HR record at Great American Ball Park
- Reds face must-win for home playoff game
- Pirates take upper-hand in pivotal final series, beat Reds 4-1
- Ludwick calls out Reds fans
- Reds postgame vs Mets
- Reds eliminated from Central race with Cardinals win
- Matsuzaka pitches Mets to 1-0 win over Reds
- Reds Fans Break Ballpark Attendance Record
- Mets rock Leake, give Reds costly 4-2 defeat
- Cueto's return gives Reds their ace for playoffs
- Buc up! Pirates, Reds punch playoff tickets
- Reds clinch playoff berth, beat Mets 3-2 in 10th
- Reds leave Pittsburgh with a big win
- Votto error costly, Reds drop contest to Pirates, 4-2
- Reds game time changed
- Votto HR lifts Reds into a Wild Card tie
- Reds and Pirates Set to Meet in Critical Series
- Marty Brennaman Signs Contract Extension
- Wild Card & NLDS tickets to go on sale
- Hamilton in starting lineup for Reds
- Reds hand Astros 100th loss, 10-0
- Reds get well against Astros
- Arroyo is Clemente Award Nominee
- Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
- Halton's homer walks off Reds
- Cueto set to start Monday
- Choo, Votto go deep in Reds win
- Lohse, Gomez deal Reds 5-1 loss
- Reds talk after win over Cubs
- Mesoraco, Hannahan power Reds to 6-0 win over Cubs
- Reds try to avoid Cubs sweep
- Police and Fire Appreciation Day at GABP
- Castillo homers twice as Cubs rout Reds 9-1
- Reds to open 2014 season hosting Cardinals
- Former Reds player approaching Japanese HR record
- Wood, Cubs stall Reds' surge with 2-0 win
- Bruce crushes two HRs, Reds win in last at bat
- Billy Hamilton, Reds shake Dodgers in extras
- Reds unveil Morgan statue, Rose attends
- Votto homers, lifts Reds over Dodgers
- Reds crush Lynn, take three of four from Cards
- Joe Morgan Statue Dedication Details
- Adams' HRs send Cardinals over Reds 5-4 in 16
- Hamilton's run, Chapman's fastball give Reds speed
- 1-on-1 with Bronson Arroyo
- Reds discuss win vs Padres
- Reds Analysis with Mike Berk, Richard Skinner and Dave Collins
- Homer Bailey Tosses Second No-Hitter In Reds Win
Pirates take upper-hand in pivotal final series, beat Reds 4-1
Updated: Saturday, September 28 2013, 01:19 AM EDT
CINCINNATI (AP)-- The Pirates are one win away from hosting a playoff game.
Marlon Byrd had three hits and Pedro Alvarez hit a two-run homer high off the batter's eye on Friday night, leading Pittsburgh over the Cincinnati Reds 4-1 in a series that will decide which one hosts the NL wild-card game.
Both teams clinched postseason berths this week. The Pirates' chances of winning the NL Central ended later Friday night when St. Louis beat the Cubs 7-0 to clinch the title.
So now it comes down to the wild-card playoff next Tuesday night, and the Pirates are one win away from taking it to PNC Park.
Nice way to start a decisive series.
"It's huge," Byrd said. "We want to get that one-game playoff in Pittsburgh."
Byrd and Alvarez provided all of the Pirates' runs off Homer Bailey (11-12), who is struggling with his control heading into the postseason. A.J. Burnett (10-11) handled the Reds' slumping lineup, allowing Todd Frazier's homer and five hits overall in eight innings. Jason Grilli gave up a hit in the ninth while getting his 33rd save in 35 chances.
"It gives us some momentum, no doubt about that," manager Clint Hurdle said. "When you pretty much dominate through eight innings, it sparks everybody. That's what we were looking for from him."
Cincinnati has lost three straight and scored one run in the last 22 innings.
"Once I got that (homer), I thought we might get a spark going, but we couldn't find it," Frazier said.
The bruising, tight-as-could-be series has gone up and down the Ohio River all summer long with neither team able to get much advantage. The Pirates lead the series 9-8. Fourteen of the 17 games have been decided by three runs or less. Batters have been plunked 26 times during the season series, most in the majors this year.
It's the biggest series between them since 1990, when the Reds beat Barry Bonds and the Pirates to reach the World Series, where they swept Oakland for their last title.
The Pirates got the early advantage in this decisive series by beating Bailey, who threw the first of his two no-hitters at PNC Park on Sept. 28 last year. Since then, he's failed to beat the Pirates in four starts, going 0-3.
Control has been a problem lately. He helped the Pirates load the bases in the third on a hit batter and a pair of walks, and Byrd -- an August trade acquisition from the Mets -- singled through the hole at shortstop for a 2-0 lead.
Byrd doubled off the top of the wall in center field to open the sixth, and Alvarez hit his 35th homer high off the batter's eye for a 4-1 lead that ended Bailey's outing. He gave up four runs, four hits, four walks, hit two batters and threw a wild pitch.
"Any time you can get separation in the lead against a team like the Reds, it's huge," Alvarez said. "That's why we were all pretty excited. You can never have too much breathing room with those guys."
Burnett handled Cincinnati's slumping lineup, retiring the last 10 batters he faced. Frazier hit his 19th homer off the screen on the left-field foul pole in the fourth, ending Cincinnati's streak of 16 scoreless innings.
Burnett also beat the Reds and Bailey 4-2 last Saturday at PNC Park, allowing only four hits and fanning 12 in seven innings. He followed that outing by getting the Pirates off to the start they wanted at Great American Ball Park.
"Anytime you come into somebody else's house in the first game, you want to do that," Burnett said. "It just happens to be an important part of the season."
Joey Votto singled twice, surpassing Pete Rose's club record of reaching base 311 times in a season.
The Reds wore their Los Rojos jerseys to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. ... Hurdle will change his starting pitcher on Sunday if nothing's at stake. RH Gerrit Cole (10-7) is scheduled to go against RH Johnny Cueto (5-2). Hurdle would keep Cole available as insurance for the wild-card game on Tuesday. ... Alvarez's homer gave him 99 RBIs. ... Reds manager Dusty Baker doesn't plan to use LH Tony Cingrani in relief during the series. Cingrani is recovering from his second bout of back spasms. ... Bronson Arroyo (14-11) starts on Saturday against Pittsburgh's Charlie Morton (7-4). Morton has given up only one run in his last three starts at Great American Ball Park, throwing two complete games.
PHOTO: CINCINNATI, OH - SEPTEMBER 27: Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker looks on against the Pittsburgh Pirates during the game at Great American Ball Park on September 27, 2013 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)