- Baseball Writers Association of America Announces Reds Performance Winners
- Reds Release 2014 Cactus League Schedule
- Reds Announce 2014 Coaching Staff
- Reds Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2014
- Reds acquire Holmberg from Ari, Send Hanigan to TB
- Reds non-tender OFs Paul, Robinson
- Reports: Parra re-signs with Reds
- Schumaker, Reds complete $5 million, 2-year deal
- Sean Casey on Hall of Fame ballot
- Reds add four to 40-man
- Report: Skip Schumaker signs two-year contract with Reds
- Choo turns down Reds contract offer
- Redsfest tickets on sale
- Reds agree in principle to deal with C Pena
- Jay Bruce wins 2nd straight Silver Slugger Award
- Report: Yankees inquire about Phillips
- Reds do not make offer to Arroyo, 4 others
- Reds make qualifying offer to Choo
- Concepcion 1 of 12 candidates on the Expansion Era Hall of Fame ballot
- 5 Dates for Reds Fans this Offseason
- Phillips wins 4th Gold Glove
- Yankees Interested in Choo?
- Watch Bryan Price's Press Conference
- Reds choose Bryan Price for next manager
- Reds To Introduce New Manager Bryan Price At 3:00 P.M. Press Conference Today
- Cincinnati Reds Name New Manager
- Reports indicating Reds are shopping 2B Phillips
- Reds' Latos Undergoes Surgery
- Dusty Baker to Replace Nationals' Manager?
- Bruce nominated for Hank Aaron Award
- Reds minor leaguer suspended
- Local Reaction to Baker's Leave
- Fans Not Suprised Dusty Baker Was Fired
- Dusty Baker Fired as Reds Manager
- Reds Face Big Questions in Offseason
- Reds stayed pat, paid for it in playoffs
- Mat Latos' Wife Alleges Attack at PNC Park
- Police: No charges in fight involving Reds' wife
- Pirates beat Reds 6-2 in NL wild-card game
- Red's Wild Card Playoff Game
- Reds Race For the Pennant
- Rookies on wild-card rosters for Reds, Pirates
- Brad Talks Wildcard Playoff Game Against The Pirates
- Pirates hoping for more than cameo in playoffs
- Reds get set for Tuesday showdown
- Bumpus Jones: Who is he and why is he in the news?
- Pirates sweep series, await Reds in Wild Card
- Reds' Latos out for wild card game with sore elbow
- Reds game Tuesday starts at 8:05pm
- Cueto tapped to start Tuesday's Wild Card game at Pittsburgh
- Arroyo shelled, Pirates beat Reds 8-3 for home-field advantage
- Pirates tie HR record at Great American Ball Park
- Reds face must-win for home playoff game
- Pirates take upper-hand in pivotal final series, beat Reds 4-1
- Ludwick calls out Reds fans
- Reds postgame vs Mets
- Reds eliminated from Central race with Cardinals win
- Matsuzaka pitches Mets to 1-0 win over Reds
- Reds Fans Break Ballpark Attendance Record
- Mets rock Leake, give Reds costly 4-2 defeat
- Cueto's return gives Reds their ace for playoffs
- Buc up! Pirates, Reds punch playoff tickets
- Reds clinch playoff berth, beat Mets 3-2 in 10th
- Reds leave Pittsburgh with a big win
- Votto error costly, Reds drop contest to Pirates, 4-2
- Reds game time changed
- Votto HR lifts Reds into a Wild Card tie
- Reds and Pirates Set to Meet in Critical Series
- Marty Brennaman Signs Contract Extension
- Wild Card & NLDS tickets to go on sale
- Hamilton in starting lineup for Reds
- Reds hand Astros 100th loss, 10-0
- Reds get well against Astros
- Arroyo is Clemente Award Nominee
- Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
- Halton's homer walks off Reds
- Cueto set to start Monday
- Choo, Votto go deep in Reds win
- Lohse, Gomez deal Reds 5-1 loss
- Reds talk after win over Cubs
- Mesoraco, Hannahan power Reds to 6-0 win over Cubs
- Reds try to avoid Cubs sweep
- Police and Fire Appreciation Day at GABP
- Castillo homers twice as Cubs rout Reds 9-1
- Reds to open 2014 season hosting Cardinals
- Former Reds player approaching Japanese HR record
- Wood, Cubs stall Reds' surge with 2-0 win
- Bruce crushes two HRs, Reds win in last at bat
- Billy Hamilton, Reds shake Dodgers in extras
- Reds unveil Morgan statue, Rose attends
- Votto homers, lifts Reds over Dodgers
- Reds crush Lynn, take three of four from Cards
- Joe Morgan Statue Dedication Details
- Adams' HRs send Cardinals over Reds 5-4 in 16
- Hamilton's run, Chapman's fastball give Reds speed
- 1-on-1 with Bronson Arroyo
- Reds discuss win vs Padres
- Reds Analysis with Mike Berk, Richard Skinner and Dave Collins
- Homer Bailey Tosses Second No-Hitter In Reds Win
Cueto's return gives Reds their ace for playoffs
Updated: Tuesday, September 24 2013, 09:57 PM EDT
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Johnny Cueto has looked good in his two starts since returning from the disabled list, giving the Cincinnati Reds their ace in time for the playoffs.
The question now is how they use him.
They also have that question about speedy Billy Hamilton, who has made a big impact by going 13 for 13 in steals since his promotion, showing an ability to decide a close game at the end.
Manager Dusty Baker said on Tuesday that the Reds haven't decided how Cueto fits into the playoff rotation or whether Hamilton will be on the roster. The Reds clinched at least a wild card berth on Monday night and are still in contention for the NL Central title, trailing St. Louis by two games with five left.
''We still haven't decided,'' Baker said. ''There's a lot of variables here.''
Heading into September, they didn't think they'd have Cueto in consideration for the playoff rotation. Their opening day pitcher has been on the disabled list three times this season with strained muscles behind his pitching shoulder.
At best, they figured they might be able to get him ready to pitch in relief. But he's done so well in two starts since returning that he's now an option to start the playoffs. He threw 99 pitches during seven innings of a 3-2, 10-inning win over the New York Mets on Monday night, looking quite sharp.
Cueto's experience in tight games and his ability to dominate teams make him the favorite to start the playoffs if he's healthy enough.
''The other guys have pitched great but Johnny was the man,'' Baker said. ''Nothing against anyone else, but just Johnny has a longer and greater track record. So it was just a matter of (building) endurance.''
Cueto feels like he is back to normal.
''I feel good,'' he said after the game on Monday, with trainer Tomas Vera translating. ''I talked to Dusty about pitching the eighth. He said, 'No, no that's enough.' My velocity is there, everything is there.''
His teammates saw it, too.
''Cueto looked good and looked healthy, which always is important,'' shortstop Zack Cozart said. ''So with that, we're happy.''
Hamilton got into the game as a pinch-runner and stole his 13th base in as many tries. Since his promotion on Sept. 2, he leads the majors in steals. He has scored two game-winning runs, a game-tying run and a go-ahead run in extra innings.
He's gone 6 for 14 at the plate with a pair of doubles, two walks and one run batted in, much better than expected. Hamilton batted only .256 at Louisville this season, his first at Triple-A. He also was moved from shortstop to center field for the first time in his career and needs work there, as well.
The Reds are weighing whether it's better to keep Hamilton around for his limited but important role so far as a late-inning base stealer, or to go with another outfielder who is a better all-around player.
''Who do you delete to take his place?'' Baker said. ''Is he ready to start a game or come off the bench and get some hits you might need? There's a lot of factors here.''
Hamilton's late-inning steals have made him a fan favorite. The Reds are selling red ''Run Billy Run'' shirts at Great American Ball Park. So far, Hamilton has handled his promotion smoothly.
Baker lobbied to add the 23-year-old speedster to the roster for September, convinced it would help him learn a lot about how his talents translated to the majors. One question for the postseason is whether the rookie would be ready for such responsibility.
''I know Billy's the topic of the day - they're selling T-shirts with his name up there,'' Baker said. ''I'm glad we got him. I don't think he's in awe of this.''