- Reds Release 2014 Cactus League Schedule
- Reds Announce 2014 Coaching Staff
- Reds Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2014
- Reds acquire Holmberg from Ari, Send Hanigan to TB
- Reds non-tender OFs Paul, Robinson
- Reports: Parra re-signs with Reds
- Schumaker, Reds complete $5 million, 2-year deal
- Sean Casey on Hall of Fame ballot
- Reds add four to 40-man
- Report: Skip Schumaker signs two-year contract with Reds
- Choo turns down Reds contract offer
- Redsfest tickets on sale
- Reds agree in principle to deal with C Pena
- Jay Bruce wins 2nd straight Silver Slugger Award
- Report: Yankees inquire about Phillips
- Reds do not make offer to Arroyo, 4 others
- Reds make qualifying offer to Choo
- Concepcion 1 of 12 candidates on the Expansion Era Hall of Fame ballot
- 5 Dates for Reds Fans this Offseason
- Phillips wins 4th Gold Glove
- Yankees Interested in Choo?
- Watch Bryan Price's Press Conference
- Reds choose Bryan Price for next manager
- Reds To Introduce New Manager Bryan Price At 3:00 P.M. Press Conference Today
- Cincinnati Reds Name New Manager
- Reports indicating Reds are shopping 2B Phillips
- Reds' Latos Undergoes Surgery
- Dusty Baker to Replace Nationals' Manager?
- Bruce nominated for Hank Aaron Award
- Reds minor leaguer suspended
- Local Reaction to Baker's Leave
- Fans Not Suprised Dusty Baker Was Fired
- Dusty Baker Fired as Reds Manager
- Reds Face Big Questions in Offseason
- Reds stayed pat, paid for it in playoffs
- Mat Latos' Wife Alleges Attack at PNC Park
- Police: No charges in fight involving Reds' wife
- Pirates beat Reds 6-2 in NL wild-card game
- Red's Wild Card Playoff Game
- Reds Race For the Pennant
- Rookies on wild-card rosters for Reds, Pirates
- Brad Talks Wildcard Playoff Game Against The Pirates
- Pirates hoping for more than cameo in playoffs
- Reds get set for Tuesday showdown
- Bumpus Jones: Who is he and why is he in the news?
- Pirates sweep series, await Reds in Wild Card
- Reds' Latos out for wild card game with sore elbow
- Reds game Tuesday starts at 8:05pm
- Cueto tapped to start Tuesday's Wild Card game at Pittsburgh
- Arroyo shelled, Pirates beat Reds 8-3 for home-field advantage
- Pirates tie HR record at Great American Ball Park
- Reds face must-win for home playoff game
- Pirates take upper-hand in pivotal final series, beat Reds 4-1
- Ludwick calls out Reds fans
- Reds postgame vs Mets
- Reds eliminated from Central race with Cardinals win
- Matsuzaka pitches Mets to 1-0 win over Reds
- Reds Fans Break Ballpark Attendance Record
- Mets rock Leake, give Reds costly 4-2 defeat
- Cueto's return gives Reds their ace for playoffs
- Buc up! Pirates, Reds punch playoff tickets
- Reds clinch playoff berth, beat Mets 3-2 in 10th
- Reds leave Pittsburgh with a big win
- Votto error costly, Reds drop contest to Pirates, 4-2
- Reds game time changed
- Votto HR lifts Reds into a Wild Card tie
- Reds and Pirates Set to Meet in Critical Series
- Marty Brennaman Signs Contract Extension
- Wild Card & NLDS tickets to go on sale
- Hamilton in starting lineup for Reds
- Reds hand Astros 100th loss, 10-0
- Reds get well against Astros
- Arroyo is Clemente Award Nominee
- Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
- Halton's homer walks off Reds
- Cueto set to start Monday
- Choo, Votto go deep in Reds win
- Lohse, Gomez deal Reds 5-1 loss
- Reds talk after win over Cubs
- Mesoraco, Hannahan power Reds to 6-0 win over Cubs
- Reds try to avoid Cubs sweep
- Police and Fire Appreciation Day at GABP
- Castillo homers twice as Cubs rout Reds 9-1
- Reds to open 2014 season hosting Cardinals
- Former Reds player approaching Japanese HR record
- Wood, Cubs stall Reds' surge with 2-0 win
- Bruce crushes two HRs, Reds win in last at bat
- Billy Hamilton, Reds shake Dodgers in extras
- Reds unveil Morgan statue, Rose attends
- Votto homers, lifts Reds over Dodgers
- Reds crush Lynn, take three of four from Cards
- Joe Morgan Statue Dedication Details
- Adams' HRs send Cardinals over Reds 5-4 in 16
- Hamilton's run, Chapman's fastball give Reds speed
- 1-on-1 with Bronson Arroyo
- Reds discuss win vs Padres
- Reds Analysis with Mike Berk, Richard Skinner and Dave Collins
- Homer Bailey Tosses Second No-Hitter In Reds Win
Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
Updated: Tuesday, September 17 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
HOUSTON (AP) -- Dusty Baker had his fingers crossed that Johnny Cueto
would be OK in his return from a long stint on the disabled list on
After the fifth inning, the manager could breathe a sigh of relief with his ace done for the night after a solid outing.
threw five scoreless innings and Zack Cozart homered and drove in four
runs to help the Reds to a 6-1 win over the Houston Astros.
for the first time since straining the muscle below his right shoulder
on June 28, Cueto (5-2) allowed five hits and struck out five with one
walk for the win.
''He was pretty sharp,'' Baker said. ''Had good
velocity. Let's hope that he continues to be well, continues to get
better, his endurance gets better.''
Cincinnati moved five games ahead of Washington for second NL wild card.
got things going for the Reds with his two-run shot to left field in
the second inning. He added a two-RBI single in the fourth.
return of Cueto, Cincinnati's opening day starter the past two seasons,
could be a boost to the Reds as they make a push toward the postseason.
''That's a tremendous shot in the arm for our team,'' Baker said. ''Guys were psyched that he was out there.''
And Cueto was excited to be back on the mound after finishing up a third trip to the DL with the same injury.
don't have words to describe it,'' he said through a translator. ''It's
something really incredible for me to go that long without pitching,
and I came in today and feel really good today.''
He lasted 82
pitches on Monday, and didn't allow more than one base runner in an
inning until the fifth when Carlos Corporan and L.J. Hoes hit
back-to-back singles with one out.
Brandon Barnes grounded into a
force play that left Hoes out at second before Cueto walked Jonathan
Villar, eliciting a visit to the mound from pitching coach Brian Price.
escaped the jam when he struck out Jose Altuve to end the inning and
his night. Cueto pumped his fist before slowly walking off the mound.
told me: 'This is your last hitter,''' Cueto said. ''So I was one out
away and he is a great hitter, so I had to make an out no matter what
and I did it. So I felt really happy.''
Fantasy Football Signup
Houston manager Bo Porter said Cueto certainly didn't look like someone who hadn't pitched since June.
a guy misses a lot of time you think to yourself that maybe he's going
to be rusty, maybe he's going to have a hard time finding the strike
zone,'' Porter said. ''But he didn't have any of those little effects.''
Erik Bedard (4-11) allowed four hits and four runs in four innings in his return from a stint in the bullpen for the loss.
was his first start since Aug. 21 and the loss leaves him without a win
as a starter since June 26. He made three relief appearances between
starts and picked up a win in the second one.
Jay Bruce singled
to start the second before Cozart's two-out homer to the Crawford Boxes
in left field gave Cincinnati a 2-0 lead.
Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
Cincinnati Reds Zack Cozart (2) and Jay Bruce (32) are welcomed into the dugout after Cozart hit a t
single by Joey Votto followed by consecutive walks by Bruce and Ryan
Ludwick loaded the bases with no outs in the fourth inning. Cozart's
line drive to right field scored two to make it 4-0. Ludwick was out at
third on the play.
Lucas Harrell replaced Bedard for the fifth
inning and walked Shin-Soo Choo and Votto with a single by Brandon
Phillips in between to load the bases.
Bruce's single skipped past Harrell and into shallow center field to pad the lead - making it 6-0.
Simon replaced Cueto for the sixth inning and Trevor Crowe greeted him
with a double. He advanced to third on a fly out and scored on a
groundout to make it 6-1.
NOTES: Cincinnati's Mike Leake opposes
Jordan Lyles when the series continues on Tuesday. ... LHP Sean Marshall
was reinstated from the 60-day DL on Monday. He had been out since May
24 with shoulder tendinitis. RHP Kyle Lotzkar and RHP Josh Ravin were
designated for assignment to make room for Cueto and Marshall on the
roster. ... Houston All-Star C Jason Castro (right knee) was out of the
lineup again as doctors want to give him a few more days to see how he
responds to treatment. Castro injured his knee Sept. 2. ... Votto
extended his hitting streak in Houston to 22 games.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This
material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
HOUSTON, TX - SEPTEMBER 16: Johnny Cueto #47 of the Cincinnati Reds
throws in the first inning against the Houston Astros at Minute Maid
Park on September 16, 2013 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Bob Levey/Getty