(CNN) Black Friday can be too much for many consumers to handle. Lucky for them, the next big day on the retail calendar can be enjoyed from a desk or the couch. It's Cyber Monday, and retailers expect the momentum from Black Friday to carry through.
CNN reports this year's Cyber Monday is expected to be the biggest online shopping day of the year for the third year in a row. How retailers fare will offer insight into Americans' evolving shopping habits, whether it's on the computer, on a smartphone, or tablet.
A survey of retailers finds about 72 million Americans say they will do some holiday shopping from the office this year.
CNN's Karin Caifa reports you can make your holiday shopping on Cyber Monday much easier with these few tips.
When shopping online:
- Confirm a website is secure before entering any information. Look for an "S" after "http" in the URL.
- Remember paying with a credit card will offer more protections than debit.
- Check statements regularly to make sure the only charges are ones you've made.
- Keep a record of order confirmations and receipts, with a designated folder in your inbox or with an app on your smartphone, like Slice.
And a reminder for those who shop on the go:
- Don't use public Wi-Fi, only secure connections.
- Lock devices with a password so data is protected even when your phone is out of your hands.
- And work within apps from trusted sources.
Another incentive for Cyber Monday shopping: the National Retail Federation says about 4 in 10 retailers will offer free shipping, with no conditions attached.