CAMDEN -- A spark from a fireplace likely led to a fire that destroyed a house Wednesday morning.
A man living in the home on Pleasant Valley Drive told firefighters he had a protective screen around the fireplace but somehow a log sparked and caught the back room on fire.
"If you've got a fireplace, just make sure you've got doors on them, you know, keep your doors shut, you know, if you've got a screen, apparently they had a screen here, it didn't help. But just make sure if you've got doors, keep them shut," West Elkton Assistant Fire Chief John Cassidy said.
The man and his wife and all of their pets got out safely. The house, though, is a total loss.