Fire destroys a 100- year-old barn in Wilmington on Tuesday morning. The owners say several animals died as well.
Local 12's Tiffany Wilson was on the scene and says several horses, a hog, and goats all lived inside that barn. MOst made it to safety --- but the two female goats who'd just given birth to three kids at the beginning of January did not make it out in time.
Those animals are part of a 4-H project and the children are devastated by their loss.
The barn's owner says he woke up around five this morning to a shock of orange light glowing in the window of his bedroom. He ran to grab his fire extinguisher --- not knowing what was on fire. When he realized the massive two story barn was engulfed, the task turned to damage control. "At this point investigators say the fire was electrical in nature. I don't know what to say, I'm in a state of disbelief at this point. The whole barn was full of hay...nothing that could be done."
The fire started spreading to another outbuilding where the family kept some rabbits. Firefighters were able to contain those flames and the rabbits survived.
Jason Gober hopes that some neighbors will help house his animals until he can rebuild the barn.