- Wind Could Ground Macy's Parade Balloons
- O.J. Simpson Denied a New Trial
- Florida GOP Leaders Call for Radel to Resign
- Conn. Couple Celebrate 81st Wedding Anniversary
- Mother of Bullied Fla. Girl Wants Tougher Laws
- Ford to Recall Escapes Again for Oil, Fuel Leaks
- Nationwide Goal for 2024 Moving toward No-Kill Animal Shelters
- Murder Charges Filed After Building Collapse
- Yale on Lockdown as Gun Report Investigated
- Police: NY deli owners stole $1M lottery ticket
- Deal Reached in Iranâs Nuclear Program
- Video game re-enacts Sandy Hook shooting, relatives outraged
- High amount of workers to seek new jobs in 2014
- Senate Vote to Honor Doolittle Raiders
- Two Deaths Prompt Baby Monitor Recall
- Kennedy Cousin Granted Bail as He Awaits New Trial
- Navy Sailor And Fiancee Married At Reno-Tahoe International Airport
- At McDonald's, a push for customization
- Jumbo Jet Stuck at Small Airport
- Execution of Serial Killer Brings Peace to Local Family
- Florida Congressman Pleads Guilty After Cocaine Arrest
- President's Approval Rate Lowest of his Presidency
- Adam Levine named People's 'sexiest man alive'
- Study: Kids are less fit than their parents were
- Gas Prices Predicted to Stay Down
- Congressman and Cincinnati Native Busted on Drug Charges
- Judge Sets George Zimmerman's Bond at $9,000
- Virginia State Senator Stabbed, Son is Killed
- New Poll: 86% Of Working Americans Plan To Online Shop During Work Hours On Cyber Monday
- George Zimmerman Arrested After Disturbance Call
- 8 People Confirmed Dead from Tornadoes
- Missouri Governor Denies Killer Clemency
- In traffic stop chaos, NM officer fires at van
- Ohio Walmart Holds Food Drive for Its Own Employees
- US Postal Service Reports 7th Year of Net Loss
- 'Batkid' Begins Fighting Crime In San Francisco
- Digital pickpockets using smartphones to steal credit cards
- Florida Sinkhole Destroys Two Homes
- Mother Questions School Grading System
- Google patenting an electronic 'throat tattoo'
- Suspect Shot Inside Children's Hospital in Wisconsin
- Policy Cancellations: Obama Will Allow Old Plans
- Mob Boss Whitey Bulger Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Sex and Booze; Colorado 'Obamacare' Ads Raising Eyebrows
- NJ man, ex-girlfriend in court over Powerball win
- Sinkhole Swallows Florida Man's Backyard
- 16-Year-Old Charged for Shooting Near School
- Immigration Reform: House Will Not Talk on Senate-Passed Bill
- Shooting Reported Near Pittsburgh High School
- 'Star Wars: Episode VII' holding open casting call
- Student sues Montana college after flunking math
- Texas Teacher Punches, Knocks Out Student
- Male vs Female Bosses
- SeaWorld challenges ban limiting interaction between whale and trainer
- McConnell promotes alternative to 'Obamacare'
- Experts Settle Dispute Over America's Tallest Building
- California town builds house for wounded GI
- Cost of Thanksgiving Dinner Rises
- PG-13 Gun Violence Rivals that of R Movies
- Why A Midweek Wedding? Because It's 11/12/13
- College students could face expulsion for using gun to fend off intruder
- Suit: NY dad criticized for denying son McDonald's
- Amazon and USPS Partner for Sunday Delivery
- Target Will Open Earlier on Thanksgiving Than Last Year
- What would Jesus brew? Churches turn to serving beer to attract members
- US adds 204,000 jobs, jobless rate up to 7.3 pct.
- Gay Rights Bill to Outlaw Workplace Discrimination
- Suicide Bombings Kill 19 at Iraq Military Base
- Bank ATM spits out $50 bills instead of $20 bills
- Critics: Some Unions Could Get Break From Fees
- Price of average CVG flight second-most expensive
- High court wrestles with prayer in government
- Russian fireball shows meteor risk may be bigger
- Blockbuster closing all of its retail stores
- Castro Victim Talks About 11 Years in Captivity
- Lay's New Chocolate-Covered Potato Chips
- Toys R Us To Open At 5 p.m. On Thanksgiving Day
- Northwestern unveils Wounded Warrior uniforms
- Police: Teens Broke into Denver School to Steal
- Suspect in NJ Mall Shooting Found Dead
- Johnson & Johnson Resolves Criminal and Civil Allegations
- Lock Down Lifted at CCSU
- 3 people in police custody after lock down at Central Connecticut State U
- Feds Urge Students to Check Loan Repayment Plans
- November means facial hair
- Obamacare: Memo reveals health care adviser warned W.H. was losing control 3 years ago
- Alligator captured in Chicago's O'Hare Airport
- Texans Coach in Stable Condition After Last Night's Collapse
- Witness to LAX Shooting Speaks Out
- Judge dresses as fairy godmother during adoption ceremony
- 14-Pound Utah Baby May Be America's Biggest For 2013
- McDonald's to sell bagged coffee next year
- Suspect in Custody in LAX Shooting
- Appeals Court Rules Against Obamacare over Contraceptives
- Report: Obama campaign considered replacing Biden with Hillary Clinton
- Drug Tunnel Uncovered
- Hot-Sauce Lawsuit Rejected
- Study examines the best time for a coffee break
- Holiday travel: Procrastinators will pay this year, expert says
- Spying Scandal: Break Ins at Yahoo and Google Data Centers
- Italian Magazine Alleges NSA Spying on Cardinals
- President Obama Defends Health Care Law
- Report: NSA Broke into Yahoo, Google Data Centers
- N.D. woman to hand out
- Sebelius Apologizes for Health Care Website
- Social Security Increase Released
- Soldier in Spiderman suit surprises daughter
- Penn State to Pay Nearly $60 Million over Sandusky Claims
- Report: White House stopped phone tapping of foreign leaders this summer
- Conrad Murray Released From Jail
- Sandy Hook Elementary Torn Down
- Demolition of Sandy Hook Elementary Begins
- Indictments of JonBenet Ramsey's Parents Released
- Gunman Who Held People Hostage in Drugstore Surrenders
- Two Shot at Naval Base in Tennessee
- Virginia woman to launch ad campaign... to find a husband
- Community Stunned by Killing of Young Teacher
- National Security Official Fired over Twitter Account
- White House Denies Spying on German Chancellor
- Repairs, scaffolding ahead for US Capitol dome
- Merkel calls Obama to complain about surveillance
- Texas dad alleges bullying in 91-0 football game
- Homicide Investigation Closes Massachusetts School District
- Warning to Pet Owners about Jerky Treats After Deaths Reported
- U.S. Drone Strikes May Constitute War Crimes
- Concealed Gun Carrier Stops Man Threatening Party with Rifle
- Three Killed in Medical Helicopter Crash in Tennessee
- Three sisters hold last-minute joint wedding so their dying mother can attend
- Father charged after 2-year-old fatally shoots herself
- 'Hero' Math Teacher Credited With Saving Lives in Sparks School Shooting
- Harley-Davidson issues voluntary recall of certain '14 motorcycles over hydraulic clutch issue
- 15 Yr-Old Davion Navar Henry Only Pleads For Family To Adopt Him At Church
- Curtis W. Croft Busted When Cops Use Google Earth To Find Pot Garden
- Republican Approval Rates Take a Hit after Shutdown
- Builders of Obama's Health Care Website Saw Red Flags
- Facebook Outage Blamed on 'Network Maintenance'
- Police: Teens beat Pa. man, 65, over parking space
- Boy Scouts remove 2 men who toppled ancient rock
- Holmes defense, prosecutors resume evidence battle
- Detroit man charged in rape, murder of girl, 5
- 'Joker' charged with driving drunk in Maine
- Obama addresses widespread health care problems
- 1 dead in triple shooting at Vegas Strip nightclub
- AP sources: 476,000 Obamacare applications filed
- Raymond becomes major hurricane as it nears Mexico
- Man pleads guilty to shooting golfer who hit home
- Feds to listen to audio in SF Bay Area rail deaths
- Escaped Fla. prisoners grilled: Who helped you?
- Study: 15 percent of US youth out of school, work
- Gay Marriage to be Allowed in New Jersey
- No Charges for Firefighter in Survivor's Death
- Ex-House speaker Tom Foley dies at 84
- New York man arrested in terrorism case
- Halloween Decor Prompts 911 Calls
- Toilet-themed restaurant set to open in California
- Wal-Mart staffer Kristopher Oswald says he was fired for trying to save woman in parking lot assault
- Big asteroid buzzes past Earth and will again in 19 years
- Man Loses Weight With Beer and Sausage Diet
- Teen found with fetus in bag at store, NYPD says
- New GPS System Can Track School Bus for Parents
- Federal Workers Back in Business
- President Urges Cooperation as Federal Workers Return to Jobs
- 'Deadliest substance known to man' discovered
- New Facebook Policy Lets Teens Share More
- Jilted bride turns wedding into party for people with disabilities
- House Worker Escorted Out After Yelling During Vote
- White House: Furloughed Workers Can Return to Work
- Government Shutdown Over
- 18-foot-long sea creature found off Calif. coast
- Senator: Deal to avoid default and open government
- Furloughed Workers Can Send Creditors a Note from Government
- GOP senator says deal in hand to avoid default
- 4 dead after boat capsizes off Florida coast
- Today is Nat'l Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day
- Optimism on Ending Gov. Shutdown?
- No Deal in Government Shutdown
- Starving Dog Found Chained to a Tree
- 9 Year Old Sneaks Onto a Plane
- 6th Grade Boys Cause Hump Day Ban
- Locals Affected by Government Shutdown
Father charged after 2-year-old fatally shoots herself
Updated: Tuesday, October 22 2013, 01:48 PM EDT
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (CNN) -- A 2-year-old girl fatally shot herself in Fayetteville, North Carolina, over the weekend, and the toddler's father faces involuntary manslaughter charges, police said.
Melvin Andre Clark Jr., 19, who was arrested Sunday, also was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, Fayetteville police spokesman Lt. Todd Joyce said.
The girl, Samarri Tyana Beauford, was playing in the living room of the home where she lived with her aunt and grandmother Saturday when she found a loaded .22-caliber pistol that police say Clark had left under the couch, Joyce said.
Joyce would not comment on where the toddler shot herself but said, "A child that small, they don't have the strength to pull a trigger with their index finger, but they are strong enough to use pressure from their two thumbs.
"Typically, they'll be looking at the weapon when these things happen."
The toddler was taken about 12:30 p.m. to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, where she died, CNN affiliate WRAL reported. No one else was injured, the station said.
Clark was being held in the Cumberland County Detention Center on a $50,000 secured bond, Joyce said.
He appeared in court Monday, and his case was continued until November 7, according to the county clerk's office. No attorney was had been assigned to his case.
Police pursued the involuntary manslaughter charge because Samarri was killed in a "reckless or careless manner" or via a "heedless indifference" to the safety of others, Joyce said.
Several outstanding warrants were found when police ran Clark's name, including misdemeanor cruelty to animals, larceny and marijuana possession charges, police said, and Clark had been sentenced on convictions of breaking and entering, larceny and possession of a firearm by a minor.
This is at least the third instance since June of a child dying from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
In New Orleans, a 5-year-old girl died June 23 after she came "into contact with a .38-caliber revolver and accidentally shot herself in the head" while her mother was at a store, police said.
The girl's mother was charged with cruelty to a juvenile until the 5-year-old died, at which point prosecutors added a second-degree murder charge. A judge in the case threw out the murder indictment last month, and the district attorney's office said it would appeal the decision, CNN affiliate WDSU reported.
In August, a 3-year-old boy in Dundee, Michigan, found a .40-caliber handgun belonging to a family friend on a closet floor in his home. He died after accidentally shooting himself in the head, police said. The family friend was charged with careless discharge of a weapon, a misdemeanor.
Less than two weeks ago, 2-year-old Michael Garcia Jr. was taken to a hospital after shooting himself in the legs with a .45-caliber handgun registered to his mother, according to CNN affiliate WFTV. The boy's injuries were not life-threatening, and the boy's father was charged with child neglect, the station reported.
According to the CDC's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 703 children under the age of 15 died in accidental firearms deaths between 2001 and 2010, the latest year for which the agency's statistics on fatalities are available.
During the same period, 7,766 children under the age of 14 suffered accidental firearm injuries -- about one injury for every million children.
CNN's Marlena Baldacci, Eliott C. McLaughlin, Joe Sutton and Leslie Bentz contributed to this report.