Most Shared


text size

Mother of autistic son finds mold in juice box

NEW BERLIN, Wis. (WKRC) -- A lot of families turn to them because they think they are healthy but a problem with juice boxes is causing some parents to become concerned.

His family says 5-year-old Nathan Hogue cant speak because he is autistic but they knew something was wrong.

"I poked a hole in the juice box and I poured it into his cup for him to drink and poured half the juice box in and everything looked normal," Suzanne Hogue told WITI-TV.

However, something was very wrong.

"It took up half of the juice box and at that point, it was brown, black, green. I didn't even know what I was looking at at first," she said. "I was so shocked when I opened it up. I had no idea what it was. It was so repulsive and it had an odor."

Experts say mold can happen to any food product exposed to air and Nathans juice box probably had a slight hole.

"It is so hard as a mother to see that because your child has already drank half of the juice box and you see whats in there," Hogue said. "And it breaks your heart to know that he drank it."

Many families have complained about the same thing, especially since you cant see what's inside to know whether the juice has gone bad. Some companies are changing to clear bottoms so you can see inside the packages.

Health department officials say mold from food is typically not associated with severe health problems, but Hogue was told to wait and see if Nathan became sick.

"The thing that was scary was they told me it could take up to a week for him to get sick," she said. "So for the next week I would watch him like a hawk."

Luckily, Nathan didn't get sick. Officials say to help avoid this you can smell the drink or even cut the box open to check the integrity of the beverage.

-----

Follow us on Twitter @Local12 and LIKE us on Facebook for more updates.

 
 
Advertise with us!