A woman who identifies herself as the stepmother of an 11-month-old Butler County baby who died overnight says the child got into blood pressure medication before falling ill. The child, identified by the stepmother as "Gerald", died at Atrium Medical Center. The coroner also says the child ingested blood pressure medication.
Middletown Police said that hospital officials contacted them early Tuesday morning to let them know the circumstances of the case.
The mother told police she found her child crawling and pills spilled out on the kitchen floor of her apartment at the Trail Bridge Apartment complex, located on Lafayette Avenue. Keisha Callahan, who identifies herself as the child's stepmother, says she was at the apartment when the child was discovered on the floor. She says the boy got into blood pressure medication and by her count, may have swallowed as many as 50 pills.
Callahan says she and some other family members attempted to make the child vomit the pills up and then drove the baby to the Atrium Medical Center. The child died shortly after arriving at the hospital.
The mother's other three children were also taken to Atrium Medical Center as a precaution. Officials say at least two of the children appeared to be fine and have no medication in their systems.
Police say no charges have yet been filed-but they continue questioning witnesses.