- Duck Dynasty Patriarch suspended after faith-based comments against gays
- Timberlake, Beyonce have top iTunes albums this year
- Nirvana, Kiss, Peter Gabriel headed to Rock Hall
- TV Hall of Fame to add Louis-Dreyfus, Leno
- Tributes paid to 'Lawrence of Arabia' star O'Toole
- Bruno Mars is Billboard's top artist of 2013
- Know Theatre performs The Naughty List
- List of nominees for 71st Golden Globe Awards
- Could it be the year newcomers dominate Grammys?
- Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson admits cocaine use
- Jen Dalton interviews Garth Brooks
- Emmy Award Found in Trash
- "The Hunger Games Catching Fire" Midnight Opening
- Jen Dalton talks with stars of 'The Mentalist'
- Singer Chris Brown Kicked Out of Rehab
- Adam Levine named People's 'sexiest man alive'
- "It's a Wonderful Life" Sequel in the Works
- 'Star Wars: Episode VII' holding open casting call
- PG-13 Gun Violence Rivals that of R Movies
- Top 22 Tongue Twisters
- Katy Perry takes top spot on Twitter
- Rain-Ready Costumes for Trick-or-Treat
- SNL-DIVERSITY SKETCH
- Gadget Emits Fragrances from iPhone
- Bob Barker Returns To The Price Is Right
- The Top Grossing Scary Movies Of All-Time
- Bob Barker to mark his 90th birthday on
- Tim Burton, Michael Keaton in talks for 'Beetlejuice 2'
- Justin Bieber Fan Spends $100K on Plastic Surgery to Look Like the Singer
- The Big Board: Friday, October 18th
- 2nd Annual Cincinnati Craft Brewery Oktoberfest
- Nirvana, Ronstadt among Rock Hall of Fame noms
- Jen Dalton chats with Butch Patrick
- Naked Cowboy No Longer Votes in Greenhills
- The Tomorrow People Interview
- Man Becomes Unexpected Trillionaire
- Esquire Names Scarlett Johansson 'Sexiest' Again
- 'Gravity' Soars to Top of Weekend Box Office
- Miley Cyrus Rules 'SNL' as Host and Musical Guest
- Naomi Judd to be Honored in Louisville for Career
- Series premiere of "The Millers" on Thursday
- 48 Hours: Spies, Lies
- Concert Promoter Found Not Responsible for Michael Jackson's Death
- Series premiere of "We are Men" on Monday
- Bus boy becomes internet sensation for blazing speed
- "Dumb and Dumber To" Begins Filming
- Henson Family Donates 20 Muppets to Museum
- Mayor Mark Mallory Attends Munich Oktoberfest
- Armless Guitar Player Motivates Audiences
- Nintendo's "The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses" Tour Comes to Cincinnati on October 27
- New comedy "Mom" to premiere Monday night on CBS
- NFL's Most Famous Head of Hair is Getting a Trim
- Tickets for the 6th annual Rusty Ball on sale Monday
- Series premiere of "Hostages," on Monday
- Nintendo's Yamauchi dies aged 85
- Survivor Blood Vs. Water Pits Family Members Against Each Other
- Interview With Laila Ali and Kevin Frazier
- Emmy Awards To Feature Tribute To Stars Who Died In Past Year
- New Miss America Takes Dip in NJ Surf
- Old West Fest on Good Morning Cincinnati Sunday
- Interview with Wendy Williams
- Interview with Richard Kiel
- Dance Party Friday: Bob and the Ben-Gals!
- JK Rowling to Pen New Magic Movie for Warner Bros
- Miss Kansas Shows Tattoos at Miss America Pageant
- Actor/Director Clint Eastwood Served Divorce Papers for Second Time
- Horseshoe Casino Giving Refunds for Canceled Doobie Brothers Performance
- Whispering Bill Anderson On Good Morning Cincinnati
- Man Wins Fight to Wear Pasta Strainer in License Photo
- One Direction Fans in London Gather for Film World Premiere
- Best-selling author Elmore Leonard dies at 87
- Tuesday's French Fried Cooler
- Chuy's Opens First Ohio Restaurant In Madeira
- Lindsay Lohan Says Her Troubled Past Is Behind Her
- The London Police Second Coming To Covington
- On The Big Board: Hamilton County Fair, "I Can Swim", And Performers At The Horseshoe
- Downtown Actress Notes A UK George Trend
- Favorite, Non-chain Local Restaurant?
- Competitive Beard Grower Goes Viral
- Local Zombie Film Makes It Local Debut
- Bieber's Tour Bus Posted For Pot
- Simpsons Co-Creater With Cancer Giving Away Fortune
- Mom Delivers 7lb Baby at Pump 7
- "House of Cards" Makes Emmy History With Nominations
- Jen Dalton Interviews Aisha Tyler
- Beyonce Holds Moment Of Silence For Trayvon Martin
- JK Rowling Revealed As Writer Behind Crime Novel
- Bethenny No Limits: Preview!
- Celebrity Duck Auction
48 Hours: Spies, Lies
Updated: Thursday, October 3 2013, 03:00 PM EDT
LOS ANGELES (CBS) -- To his parents, Shane Todd was a brilliant, high-tech engineer at a Singapore company who was murdered because he was unwilling to share secrets that could harm the United States. To police in Singapore, he was an American who killed himself.
Peter Van Sant and 48 HOURS investigate the circumstances around the unusual death of Shane Todd in Spies, Lies & Secrets, to be broadcast Oct. 5, 2013 (10:00 PM ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Its a story about the around-the-world quest by a Montana family to find out what happened to their son a son who expressed concerns that he might never see his family again and gave clear instructions to his parents about what to do if they didnt hear from him.
After Shanes death weve been thrown into a spy movie, an intriguing espionage story that would be fascinating if it wasnt about us, Shane Todds mother, Mary Todd, tells 48 HOURS.
In June 2012, Shane Todd, 31, then a research engineer at the Institute of Microelectronics, was found dead in his Singapore apartment. Police say he hanged himself on the bathroom door. Todds parents believe he was killed because he was unwilling to go along with a plan to share cutting edge American technology with China. His suicide didnt make sense to his family because was preparing to leave Singapore in a matter of days for a new job in Virginia.
Our son was murdered. We believe its espionage. We believe were uncovering something much bigger than our son, Mary Todd tells 48 HOURS, adding, theres not one shred of evidence that Shane committed suicide, not one.
But Singapore police found five typed suicide notes in his laptop. His family says theyre not written by Shane Todd. His mother also says a Singapore detective initially told them about an elaborate pulley system Shane allegedly used to hang himself. But when Mary Todd visited Shanes apartment within days of the supposed suicide, there was no evidence of what the detective allegedly described. Instead, the Todds found the belongings of a man looking to head back to America.
Pulitzer-prize winning journalist Ray Bonner, a consultant to 48 HOURS on the story, says police in Singapore made mistakes in the investigation, such as not dusting for fingerprints. Im quite surprised. Singapore is not a third world banana republic. It is quite sophisticated, says Bonner, who broke the story of the strange events around Shane Todds death in Londons Financial Times. With pressure mounting, Singapore expanded a coroners inquest into Shane Todds death.
Van Sant travels to Singapore with the Todd family to retrace Shane Todds final days alive and piece together what may have happened to the Todds firstborn son, and report on the startling findings of the inquest. 48 HOURS also speaks with Shanes girlfriend, Shirley Sarmiento, Shanes neighbor, Michael Goodwin, forensic pathology expert Dr. Edward Adelstein, and forensic computer analyst Ashraf Massoud, to shed light on the mystery surrounding Shanes death.